Friday, October 19, 2018

Blog Critique

In this blog published by Ann Althouse it confronts the recent uproar regarding the Democratic Senator, Elizabeth Warren, and her ethnic background linked to the Native Americans. Over the past couple of weeks, Elizabeth Warren has been waiting for her DNA test results to come back to prove to President Trump that she is in fact partly Native American. In this blog, Althouse does not make it clear as to who her audience is, instead it seems as if she is thinking out loud to herself, starting most of her sentences off with “I”. Personally, I believe the credibility in this blog is non-existent due to the bias opinions given like when Althouse says, “I don't think you should be checking the box and allowing Harvard to claim to have a Native American professor based on 1/32 or 1/512, but I like that Warren has removed the basis for inferring that she won't get the test because she knows she's been lying.” and this is one of many opinions that the author states that I believe is extremely uncredible. The argument is unclear because her first statement is completely different from her third or fourth, but what I am getting out of this is that she believes that Warren has been lying about her heritage and is as Native American as most Europeans are, and the only evidence she gives to her “audience” are her own bias opinions and a few statistics from Stanford University. With every great argument, I believe that when it comes to persuading people to be on your side, strong statistics and statements need to be used in order for that to happen, which is something this blog lacked a lot in. Concluding my evaluation, I saw absolutely no logic in this blog. As I said, the author continues to use bias opinions and gives terrible examples, which lead me to the conclusion that there was not logic put into this, just a bunch of opinionated thoughts the author is trying to express. Overall, the author of this blog did not do a great job of creating and explaining her argument, while also lacking an accurate and credible source to backup her evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST BLOG!!

In this blog , my classmate Carol argued her thoughts and beliefs regarding the Electoral College. Carol starts off by providing important ...